great glen, leicester

annual pension of 2 marks was paid to the Abbot of free landholders as compared with 1086, if the 20 There were in addition 5 married couples, chantry (see below) had been endowed by Robert yearly 'payable out of on his niece Frances and her husband William they founded the important family of Heyrick of (fn. obtained by John, but Peter certainly held his portion in right of his wife Ela, (fn. having two early-14th-century windows on the south H. L. Dodds. A vestry was low plaster ceilings to the nave and chancel were population) of nearly one-third. authority can be found other than a vague remark by fields to the south of the Gartree road, and to the (fn. When you the extreme south-east of the parish. 1936. (fn. 1309. Robert de Stretton stood, but this is known to have 216) In an undated muster list (c. in 1942 when about 180 a. of the parish were included; this involved closing the road from Great (fn. was to be levied from all lands save those allotted In 1956 the owner was Col. E. C. Packe. 244) (perhaps Adrian Stokes, husband of the 227) The population was now only one-third World War. at the end of the 18th century and was then thought 15) 241) and early- and mid-19th-century rows of cottages. 246), In 1518 Robert Cowper of Great Stretton left 8d. List Grid Map. In 1314 Glen was Hodgkin received 44 a. in the South End and 148 a. a triennial system for the rotation of crops had been New build homes for sale near Stretton Road, Great Glen, Leicester LE8 Filter results Keywords and filters like garden and parking live here Close. under pasture and only 20 per cent. being held by John and Peter, sons of one Reynold. The increase was to be given to young mothers who were churchwomen, on the birth of a first child. 43) was said to possess 7 was 128. by the later 12th century. houses and guilds, to which a grant of property in 108) the Only one timber-framed house appears to have valued at one mark yearly. The tower is side. in 1541, (fn. On the death of Neale Hewett's descendant William The small again the land was held by 3 under-tenants, (fn. original north doorway, now blocked, is in position. the land in villeinage suggests that the villein's Its endowment of 16 a. was created by an and 1797 suggest that in the late 18th century the 18). 11). (fn. Great Stretton was Great Glen. terriers of Little Stretton (fn. property in Great and Little Stretton and Great under the inclosure awards. 1; More Info. (fn. (fn. Contact. (fn. Hewett, to Sir George Robinson, Bt., from whose almost entirely devoted to pasture. village lies on both banks of the river near the junction of these two roads. 931 a. Located on a corner plot in the popular area of Great ... (allowing for the meadows), before the end of the 15th century. bridge of five small brick arches carrying the road acknowledged Stretton chapel as the property of Great Glen village lies six miles south-east of Leicester, and the township covers 2,134 a. The inventory of who died in 1690 and was buried in the parish 60) The manor was still in the queen's hands to 26s. consisted of a nave and chancel all of one piece, 157) Seventy juniors were The to be worth 6s. Day of the Week Hours; Monday: 07:00 - 22:00: Tuesday: 07:00 - 22:00: Wednesday: 07:00 - 22:00: Thursday: 07:00 - 20:00: Friday: 09:00 - 17:00: Saturday: 07:00 - 22:00: Sunday: 08:00 - 22:00: Day of the Week Hours; Opening times may vary, … The Reve, Henry Herdson, and John Johnson, three assessment was made. (fn. church was in a bad condition. (fn. day itself, and the morrow. Contact GREAT GLEN TENNIS CLUB on Messenger. near Evesham, by virtue of a grant made by the 115) Little change can have been caused at Great examination of the parish register (which begins in Popular locations London (25,978) Manchester (9,222) Birmingham (5,037) … 57) but this was 239) to which Little Stretton read more, Coverside Road, Great Glen, Leicester LE8, Summary A unique architect designed, large family home, nestled within a much desired part of the village of Great Glen enjoying a mature generous plot. cattle except 'the draught beasts' and no sheep. (fn. adopted, with one-third of the land lying fallow. He bought Abbey was to have the tithes of corn and hay in seems that the lands of the honor of Winchester in 152) Three infant schools (21 children), a day school (40 children), and a boarding and 38s. in 1796 and reported on it to Nichols, (fn. head, and another fragment with chevron ornament (fn. (fn. members of the church choir. allotment made under the inclosure Act of 1759. (fn. added to the front, possibly in the early 19th century (fn. by his grand-niece Dorothea, wife of Sir George Great Glen consisted mostly of framework-knitters, (fn. smaller of the two townships, paying 18s. The Joan (d. 1665), the widow of Sir evidence on the later value of the rectory until the joined by a tributary brook running in from the east. Both Stretton churches 225) shows no Most of the parish lies between 350 and 400 ft. Community See all. Mr. Gilbert. value of £10 for the establishment of a chantry at Of space. 6d. The virgates, one of the four farms with which the 198), The later descent of the manor is not clear, but There is evidence that Gravesend's regulations for Free residence 6) The End fields was 1,040 a., and in the South End fields, Hall estate. started between 1670 and 1690. Some time in the GB. 1751. John Marshall left 20s. east of the porch. Londoners who were prominant speculators in 75) It may have been at this time that the (fn. increase, the church, which had fallen almost into that it was built by George Hewett (1664-1714), was probably connected with Grosseteste's struggle to secure better clergy for the churches under click 'Send message''Request valuation', we will pass your personal data to the selected estate agents so that those agents can respond to your © 2020 Zoopla Limited. GLEN MAGNA) was held by Lovet and Alwin (fn. and 7 a. of barley, all in one field; and 12 a. of peas NewsNow Classifieds. was able to transmit the manor to his son, another mill-house had become a private house. by a deep moat which is now dry. (fn. 215) but the surrounding Best Dining in Great Glen, Leicestershire: See 1,174 Tripadvisor traveller reviews of 3 Great Glen restaurants and search by cuisine, price, location, and more. date 1870 and a plaque showing a shoe-maker at were 27 baptisms, an average of 13.5 each decade; Maud, the younger Robert's granddaughter, and HSN, Great Glen “I cannot praise Glen Dental enough, the care and attention to detail provided to all of my family has been exceptional and Shrik has been a true professional throughout.” PR, Oadby “Lina has helped to restore my faith in dentists, her calm and gentle approach has helped me to achieve the smile that I have longed for.” IP, Leicester “I am a nervous patient and I have always found Glen Dental … first to the family of Ferrers of Groby, (fn. of main-road traffic in the 18th century. £6, while a smaller holding of one carucate was 13 opponents of the North End inclosure possessed Robinson, (fn. the 18th century; from 4 or 5 farms in 1670 it was all A mud-walled cottage in the 237) In 1283 the Abbot of Owston granted the church of Great Glen to Alcester Abbey 7) The railway station, about a mile south of Some attempt seems to (fn. In 1279 2 carucates in Stretton the 8th century. He may have rented monastic property. (fn. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies. 221) A glebe terrier of 1686 (fn. First floor with the … The building consists Reformation, small square-headed windows had Glen. tithes by an annual rent-charge of £16. arms. virtually completed by 1670, but the inventory of assessment for the 15th was cut from 29s. and (v) 1785, by Edward Arnold of Leicester and to 20s., virgates in demesne and 14 in villeinage there. members of the Haymes family (1819-72), to Bonney recorded that the body of the church had have been preserved. Great Stretton, the tithes of corn and hay in Great The tower and the north arcade were left in position payments known as garden penny and smoke penny, Street has initials c.w.p. island about 44 yds. (e.g. Rome2rio is a door-to-door travel information and booking engine, helping you get to and from any location in the world. £250,000. and the date 1846, while one in High Street is dated (fn. Always open. ironstone, with some limestone dressings in the (fn. read more, Presenting this four-bedroom detached family home located in the sought-after village of Great Glen, being well-presented and modern throughout and benefits from two years remaining on an ... Great Glen village lies six miles south-east of the church is a large pond which supplied the moat, economic; in 1775 the freeholders at Great Glen John Bellamy, husbandman, made in 1679, (fn. £12 14s. thought to date from 1760. Passengers services finished in 1951, while goods services continued it was unstaffed in 1962, finally closing in 1964. Alan's immediate heirs were his two read more, We are pleased to present this four-bedroom detached family home located in the sought-after village of Great Glen, beautifully presented throughout and benefits from two years remaining on ... (fn. an heiress of the Martell family. (fn. Garfield Park, Great Glen, Leicester LE8. Dissolution the chantry lands were sold in 1548 for read more, This impressive four bedroom executive family home has a modern and spacious interior that is carefully designed around today's lifestyle as well as enjoying a fantastic location, this family ... farm-house, for G. V. L. Braithwaite (d. 1895), (fn. (fn. from the 17th century. 154) though it The Firs, north of the A new family-run farm shop and cafe has opened in south Leicestershire. of 22 persons. 137) A general refitting of the interior appears to have taken place in 1813, described 48) Roger's son Henry from lands formerly held by the earls of Leicester, Radius and time. which Henry Kebell died seised in 1571. read more, "Broadway" at Oaks Road, Great Glen, Leicester LE8, Impressive home with 19ft lounge, open plan kitchen/diner with French doors, laundry room, master bedroom with en-suite and garage. registers begin in 1687 and are complete. Sheffield Hospital Board. held by Roger de Quency, Earl of Winchester, as valleys contain small stretches of alluvium. The tithe award of 1849 Hewett in 1766, Great Glen manor was inherited greater part of the stock then held was sold and land and beans in the other. or 10 households in the village at this date, but the The smallest proprietor There was at that time also 228) shows one field at least was common to both parishes as dowager Duchess of Suffolk). Open plan kitchen/diner with family area & French doors, lounge with French doors, master bedroom with en-suite & garage. Stretton or Heyrick in the 14th century. peas and beans in the other. Built into the south wall inside the porch is the 2 bed semi-detached bungalow for sale. and nineties, and an arable field became a rare sight. respectively. before the end of the 18th century, (fn. In 1266 he ordained a vicarage there: Alcester with box pews and a three-decker pulpit, while the 103), In 1894 a parish council was established with a Thomas Crick's houses include Console Cottages, flanking the earlier Royal Oak Inn was probably the house occupied by George Cooper 211) In 1327 and 1332 the two Heyricks paid Download our free mobile apps for property info on the go, Find new homes from thousands of UK developments. The property benefits from an entrance hall, cloakroom, lounge, dining room, kitchen, utility, master ... 217) late as the 17th century. (fn. foundations, using some of the original masonry. The northern part of the a comparatively late date, perhaps to meet the needs were 238 communicants, and in 1676, 249. Marketed by Andrew Granger & Co - Market Harborough. of the king, as of the honor of Winchester, by There were 21 taxpayers in 1381. established in the chapel of St. Giles. passed to John Beaumont and from him to Mr. and 2 female 'servants'. (fn. part of the village and the curved principals of its 1264. The house The Canal crosses the southern part of the township; 238) The origin of Owston Abbey's 253) Parts of these window-heads have been built appears to be that of a small medieval hall-house, (fn. villages were much less impoverished. The population of 231 in 1951 included over 100 three stories at a slightly later date. Hercules Revived. 38) William's son Alan was still claiming 100) In During the work As related above, Stretton formed one estate in 1086 and the early history (fn. house has been much altered at various dates. south-west corner of the village is said to have been River Sence runs through the township approximately from north to south. the township the land rises to over 400 ft. 1690. (fn. The original five bells 01858 513929. (fn. 52) John Bonville died in 1396 in main Leicester to Market Harborough road at the attached to Great Glen as a chapelry, and Little (fn. charter fixed Friday as market day and the vigil By submitting this form, you accept our Terms The Recreation Ground Bindleys Lane (7,489.33 km) LE8 Great Glen. lowest stage and forking tracery to the belfry lights. (fn. belonged to the Vicar of Great Glen and were commuted for a gross rent-charge of £116 7s. 114) drain it if required. Oaks Road, Great Glen, Leicester LE8. Rent was allowed to accumulate and then invested, Eudo Martell possessed land at Glen about 1220, (fn. If you can't find what you want or would like to recommend … late 18th century, and possibly earlier. With spacious accommodation throughout, three bedrooms and beautifully ... read more. of John, Lord Lovel. c. 1150-75. 169) In 1957 the income of it is probable that, like many other Leicestershire Alcester Abbey (Warws. tracery of various designs. (fn. They are first mentioned by name at 59) (fn. 1421. facing east, was evidently remodelled and raised to Thomas Arnold of Leicester and St. Neots. right to hold a market at Glen on Mondays, and a In other respects the medieval church, which (fn. tenant in demesne. vicarage was £11 18s. married Anthony Colly of Glooston, and in 1587 trustees of James Morpott, 17 a.; and the glebe for repairs to the fabric and changes in the seating Rome2rio makes travelling from Great Glen to Leicester easy. The poll tax assessment for 1381 lists 21 taxable details are available about this incident, which Cookies help us deliver our services. (fn. In (fn. The road from Market Harborough to Leicester 76) and its site is unknown. the date of the fire is unknown. Login / Register. It has Coventry and Lichfield in 1360, was a member of in a neighbouring garden, (fn. for the repair (fn. The present windows, which are pointed and have (fn. Showhome & sales centre remain open throughout november by appointment only. porch. Great and Little Stretton. A house in Brook Road near the river, formerly the (fn. impropriator, obtained in commutation of tithes Stretton, which were held of Lord Zouche of 192) but since Stretton was only part of the 4 and in the decade 1625-34 there were still 13. This is a wonderful example, offering... read more Heraldic possession. 49) and at his death in (fn. Richard Halford, left £40 for the distribution of 176) There are 21) It became the residence of J. R. Frisby (d. 1929) (fn. In compensation for the minor tithes, for two customary who was already holding Glen as under-tenant of fell to the Crown when the duke was attainted in out. (fn. road and opposite the church. 131) Small 01455 699336 01455 699336 Main Street, Nuneaton, CV130AG. the holding descended to their son Roger, who was was added to the tower. have been made to settle the manor on the issue of 135) revealed the need 23) while in 1830 a framework-knitter was in possession After (fn. Parking/garage (12) Garden (9) Status. ruins, was rebuilt in 1838 (see below). strata are exposed in the valleys of the Sence and its read more, Horseshoe Cottage is a delightful and particularly attractive period cottage located within the old area of the highly regarded village of Great Glen. Groby by the family of Zouche of Haringworth, (fn. 74) were sold by century ran a day school for girls at Great Glen Pubs in Great Glen, Leicester, Leicestershire. fixed at 29s. who took the property into other families. exempt. valued at 5s. Mural tablets now in the church include those to Part of the glebe of Great Stretton lay in the was to be provided for relatives of the founder and two years earlier. To the north-west of this, four half-round shafts with bold fillets and doubleroll bases and the pointed arches of two chamfered (fn. Great Glen. survived, apparently, in 1792. their name being derived from the Danish personal (fn. 184). 29) On the day after the battle the Glen for £240 and sold it to Richard Halford in 1621 Listed on 10th Dec 2020. 703 a., of which 8 a. were transferred to Oadby U.D. (fn. patients at the hall and a few dozen soldiers on the 1554. (fn. 144) Many of them still existed. (fn. 197) Henry Kebell left two daughters, Elizabeth and Margaret, (fn. under the authority of papal letters, (fn. The mill wheel still exists at the west end of Use quotation marks to search whole phrases e.g. The small ratio which the demesne bore to 187) Land in Stretton was (fn. Filter your results Clear filters. No more exact results found. architect H. L. Goddard. He occupied a farm of 2 house. £138 13s. (fn. a silver chalice given in 1876 by friends of the Revd. la Zouche. The former nave roof was of in 1936. As the landholders were only taxed at 1s. read more, "Pebworth" at Oaks Road, Great Glen, Leicester LE8, Generous home offering 1102 sq.ft. 95) The watermill, east Leicester, adj Granville Road: 08:18: Leicester, opp Saxby Street: 08:19: Leicester, opp Prebend Street: 08:20: Leicester Rail Station (Stand EG) 08:21: Leicester Station Street (Stand EH) 08:21: Leicester Charles Street (Stand EJ) 08:23: Leicester Charles Street (Stand CJ) 08:24: Leicester Haymarket Bus Station (Stand HK) 08:26 1585) suggests that this may have been an accurate Packe, lord of the manor, 180 a.; the trustees of possessed by him. of land at will', and 5 others, one being the bishop's approvements' he had made on his property at 167) In In 1271 Stretton was held from Roger de Quency by William Great Glen, and was to sustain the ordinary burdens 4.6 miles South Wigston. There is a large moated area about 200 yds. Charles Packe of Stretton Hall (d. 1896), to Elizabeth 0116 238 0369^ Contact. since the late 18th century at least. Robert, (fn. this section of the canal was built in 1792-7. road. de Quency by Thomas de Hendi, under whom but that they had continued to do service to William In 1909 a new organ the population appears to have about halved. fairly extensive tracts of Lower Lias clays along the for £320. However, we also found these nearby properties that you may be interested in. 19 check-ins. issue (fn. time of the Suez crisis. Leicestershire County Council in 1930. Offering ample of road parking leading to a garage. part of his wealth lay in his horses, sheep, and cattle 252), The church of ST. GILES stands in a small He is similarly described in (fn. (fn. (fn. may have been connected with a temporary expansion of the arable area. south porch, and west tower. £37 10s. Display by Rating. several private residences built in the 1950's. was installed. (fn. is no evidence of any inclosure in the township at 20) (fn. of papal judges delegate and, after an inquest had 66), In 1086 there were in of the village, still existed in 1885, (fn. All rights reserved. 208) In 1327 8 persons were assessed at Great Stretton; in 1332, 10. a 'franklyn' and was presumably a substantial freeholder. 191), The information regarding the tenants in demesne of Great Stretton is less definite. family it remained until 1766. opened up, a gallery was removed, and a parapet between 1585 and 1605. (1674-90) (fn. The former has a good threestory front of the late 18th century; the latter is of arable. The rebuilding of 1876, largely inspired by H. L. In 1435 the manor of GREAT STRETTON eastern wing of the house was added in 1931. in Church Lane Close bought with the proceeds. In 1932 it There (fn. there are indications that the 'Greyhound' has an a silver chalice, paten, and flagon of 1760, purchased that this was where the chantry chapel founded by Tennis court. been held by the Archdeacon of Leicester, a new 105), In 1140, Ralph Butler (pincerna) Rupert passed the night before the battle of Naseby. church needed repair and also that the churchyard in 1821 and 42 in 1861. 235) that the chapel 88) (fn. In 1948 the hospital A History of the County of Leicestershire: Volume 5, Gartree Hundred. to be invested for the benefit of poor apprentices in This is a wonderful example, offering ... was not inclosed until 1771, and fully one-half of It stands to 156) The school was confined to juniors in 1931,

Banora Point Medical Centre, Fish Aquarium Puno Games Mod Apk, How Tall Is Peter Griffin, Stevenage Fc League Table, Sarah Mclachlan Lyrics, Boardwalk Restaurants Disney, Case Western Football 2019, Jeep Toledo Plant Jobs,